Saturday, April 18, 2015

How To: Successfully Kill A Bug

*DISCLAIMER: I am in no position to advocate the killing of endangered, indigenous, rare, or special (Yes! They’re special too!) insects, bugs or species. There is a time to kill and a time to just let the thing crawl or fly away on it’s own. Let it. BUT if you’re in the act of trying to get rid of those nasty little things (food flies, the thing that rhymes with the words “block and approach” put together, then by all means, do not let me stop you. Carry on.


1. Figure out its weakness

     Some like the water, and some completely despise it. Some need the sunlight in order to survive and some shun their quick little abdomens from it. Either way, figure out what your creepy crawler or flyer tries to avoid. Try googling the situation, as there should be a fairly huge chance of another () person from across the globe trying to get over one of their biggest fears. Online forums should be crawling (sorry, I just had to use it–and yes, pun intended) with answers and suggestions for tackling the postponed act. 


2. Prep, prep prep! 


     No, I don’t mean prep as in “prep for my three-hour triathlon” or “prep for the long-awaited bar exam.”  I mean prep as in getting your tools and whatever you need handy to go one on one with the thing! 

     We are definitely not, and I mean not going to spend hours, or even days trying to kill the thing. I know I’ve had my fair share of kills (of bugs of course! What else were you thinking?) and I may be in no place to say this to someone who is in fact struggling to kill a tiny bug, but…the bug or insect, or whatever you want to call it, is in fact SMALLER THAN YOU. You may be rolling your eyes at the screen reading this and thinking, “That’s just it! They’re small! Which means they’re fast, sneaky and they can fly! Small does not mean weak!” Yes, yes, I understand that, especially about small not being weak, heh, but I’m going to give out a little secret… Those tiny, yet fierce little bugs you’re afraid of? Those guys are actually afraid of YOU! There, I said it! Yes! They have defense mechanisms because they’re trying to get away from you!
So, for the long-awaited list of tools and preparation items, here are my suggestions:


Bug Spray


You can’t go wrong with this. A few triggers of the thing will definitely do the job. AND if you’re environmentally-aware, like myself, I strongly recommend the “EcoSmart” brand. They’re non-toxic and safe for pets, babies. Yay for mother nature! There should be other eco-friendly brands as well. Check your local stores for any, or search online. 


A “Hitter” (broom, old footwear, swatters, etc.)

What I like to call a “hitter” is anything, really; anything that'll hit the thing or prevent it from getting away counts. The “hitter” goes hand in hand with the bug spray. You can start with the bug spray and once the bug becomes affected by the spray, slowing down and staying in one place, begin tackling it with your “hitter!” OR you can start with your “hitter” and once it’s been attacked enough to stop it’s speedy and sneaky moves, then you can use the bug spray–quick and direct.


Paper Towels

You already know what these are for. 
*Handy Tip: Wet the paper towel with water–it'll be easier for them to stick to it if they try to get away


Music

Yes, I said it, music. These magic tunes have a way of playing with our minds and emotions. Choose a song that gets the determination out of you and pumps you up. Choose a song that’ll have you thinking, “Nothing can stop me, I'm invincible!" and “Yes! I really am the bad b*tch that Nicki says I am!”

             (basic bitches aka THE BUGS!)

Some songs for suggestion would maybe be: The Space Jam Theme Song, Beyonce’s “Crazy in Love,” Macklemore’s “Can’t Hold Us,” Lady Gaga’s “Applause," Maroon 5’s "Sugar,” Far East Movement’s “Like A G6,” – you get the idea.  

(I could have put Survivor’s “Eye of The Tiger,” and The Rocky Balboa Theme Song for clichés and aesthetics, but I prefer these songs for the motivation of physical endurance, not upbeat confidence boosters. But if you'd like to, hey, that's completely up to you, go for it.) Now that you've picked a song (or even playlist, who knows how long you'll keep waffling around?), play it! 


3. Get To It!
     Now that you've prepared all the things you need to attack, kill and capture the sneaky little bug, not to mention the music you've chosen to accompany the act; well, you know what to do next. Get on with it!